Union Baptist Church was organized in 1866 where worship services were held under a brush arbor until the congregation decided to build a church. A small church was several feet back from its current location on a track of land owned by the Kane family. When the church no longer held services in this location the Kane family sold the land to Lucy Ann and Lanzy Gooch and it was later sold to Gela Portee. The land to build on the present site was donated by the Graves family and the lumber was donated by Abner Anderson. Members and local carpenters donated small amounts of their money and time to build the church and it was later enlarged around 1920.
There has been several ministers to serve Union Baptist including Re. Hawkins and Rev. Berkley until a pastor was called. Rev. Dallas H. Banks of Eahart, VA was also among those ministers that was asked to preach from time to time until the suggestion from Brother Spencer Johnson for the church to ask Re. Banks to preach for an extended period of time which resulted in the church asking him to become their pastor. Rev. Banks was installed in 1903 becoming the first pastor of Union Baptist Church. Rev. Banks served the church for fourty-four years faithfully until his health began to fail and he was unable to travel resigning on 1947. Under Rev. Banks leadership Union Baptist became a member of the Virginia Electric Cooperation and electricity was installed in the church.
In 1948, Rev. Frank Thompson was installed as pastor and he served for 19 years resigning in 1967. In April 1967 Rev. J.E. Crump was installed as pastor and under his leadership a dining hall was added to the church. Rev. Crump served for seventeen years resigning in December 1984.
On September 14, 1986 Rev. L.L. Holt was installed as pastor and under his leadership the church underwent several improvements. These improvements included the dining hall being renovated, a new pulpit purchased, portable air conditioners were installed and the lot across the road known as the old #D school site was purchased. Rev. Holt also organized a youth choir, the Missionary Circle, and Sunday School was organized. Also during this time services were added on first Sundays. Rev. Holt resigned in 1992. Also in 1992 Rev. John Nickens came topreach for the church anniversary and served as acting pastor until the fall of 1992.
Rev. Robert Strothers came to pastor Union on March 25, 1995 after serving as pastor elect for one year. Rev. Strothers resigned in 1997.
Rev. H. Tyrone Hilton came to preach the anniversary service June 1998 and as a result was asking to continue preaching and helping Union while they were without a pastor. Rev. Hilton graciously accepted the challenge and served faithfully while waiting on God?s directive concerning pastoring the church. In 1999, Rev. Hilton consented to become the next pastor and he was installed on June 24, 2000.
Under Rev. Hilton's leadership the church has made and continue to make many improvements. These improvements include the adding of a pastor?s study and finance room along with a new bathroom in the vestibule. New roof has been added to several parts of the church as well as new windows, doors and carpet being installed. Central air conditioning was also installed as well as a new computer being purchased. Also, over the last few years Pastor Hilton added second Sunday service and Bible Study on Wednesday nights and the Anointed Voices were formed. Rev. Hilton resigned in 2015
Rev. Ryan Holcomb came to Union in 2016 to preach on a Sunday morning which resulting in the church asking him to become the next pastor in late 2016. Rev. Holcomb accepted the calling in becoming the next Pastor and was installed in October 2017.
Come Worship With Us!
1st and 3rd Sunday at 11:00 am
Every Thursday at 7:00 pm